The initial course syllabus is available here: Smaligo-PHIL309i
However, this syllabus is just a guide. I will be adding, dropping, and rearranging readings based on our discussions. Updates to the syllabus will be posted on this page. This page will therefore be a changing, dynamic syllabus.
At the end of the first class, you’ll be given a “zine” entitled The Witch’s Child. Please read this by Wednesday. Come prepared with thoughts or impressions.
Friday, 1/17: *Please Read* David Graeber, “The Myth of Barter” for next Wednesday (link to pdf on the Readings page)
1/22,24: Discussion about the power of money and enclosure.
– Discussion of capital and Marxism.
– *Read for Wednesday 1/29* Maria Mies, Veronika Bennholdt-Thomsen, The Subsistence Perspective, pp. 1-7; 17-23
– Discussion of Subsistence Perspective – “The Capitalist Creed” and Reinventing the Commons
– Track 2: Writing Assignment #1 assigned. Due on Monday, February 24!
– Ch.1 of The New Jim Crow
– Angela Davis, Globalism and the Prison Industrial Complex